Monday, July 27, 2009

Gentrification




During our short journey in the Wissahickon I learned about the disadvantages that disabled people have when moving around in the park. The parks area is very rugged and hard for people in wheelchairs, I even had trouble moving. In my opinion we could have walk a shorter distance because my feet were aching, but overall I learned alot. I would like to know if people could fish and also where do the water come from in the Wissahickon Creek.For my research I looked up gentrification, even though I can't pronounce it I have a general idea what it is. Gentrification is the buying and renovation of land in deteriorated areas.Which means that when areas in parks are messy and unorganized people help improve the property. In the Wissahickon they help make trails and improved the damaged areas also planted more trees. They also build more accesible ramps so disabled people can move better. Plus they planted flowers and other pretty plants so Wissahickon can be beautiful when people visit.

1 comment: